Monday, November 16, 2009

JCOM 2300 Thoughts...Stokes Nature Center

For my group midterm project in Intro to Public Relations, we took on the PR for Stokes Nature Center. At first, I viewed the assignment to be easy. Come up with a few press releases, throw out a couple of fliers, announce the center to my friends and classmates. It seemed to be pretty easy...until we met with the nature center's program coordinator, Adrea Wheaton. It wasn't until then that I realized the project we had ahead of us.

I really wish we would have had more time to implement what we created. After seeing what the nature center needed, we went to work on surveying, coming up with ideas, researching other centers, and even using Facebook to our advantage, with some of us asking our contacts what they knew about the center.

After all of our research, we discovered that the center's main objective should be to increase the audience and awareness of monthly programs. We created several tailored press releases, brochures, fliers, a question and answer document, as well as a calendar announcing events and programs.

The work we did on this project made me even more excited for a career in the public relations field. I know each day will not be the same and there will be times when looking over an organization's well being will seem stressful but I look forward to it! The job descriptions fit my personality and I can't wait to get into the real world to practice what I've learned.

No comments:

Post a Comment