Tuesday, April 3, 2012

QR Codes....Worth the hassle?




When I first discovered this site, I got overly excited and felt like I had discovered a brand new way of rebranding and making a digital/online profile for myself. That's what this Scan Pages does. They create a QR code and can connect whatever you want to it whether it's your Facebook profile, blog, or even contact information. Lately, an online presence says a lot about a company or individual. This is a mobile way to connect people to all social media pages and websites. A customized mobile site if you will. Scan Pages will also give statistics including where and how many times your QR code has been scanned. And it's free! So I thought, "Why not?" Why don't I create my own QR code and include it in anything and everything I produce, write, design, etc.? As I continued to read about scan pages, my social media nerd kicked in and I was prepared to share my findings with #socmeddiscuss (my handy dandy social media class). As I skipped up to the front of the room and started to describe my new finding, the energy was pulled from all thoughts and feelings I had about this little feature. Apparently QR Codes are not going to be a thing of the future? At least that's what I gathered from the discussion. We all know things are constantly changing and there will always be improvements....in fact, hopefully, one day media and technology will form to create nifty things found in this video:


But for now, how do you get your name out there? How can you provide a one-touch feature that will allow future employers or clients to access all your information in one spot? I imagine handing in a resume with a QR code up top to connect to files of all my work and past experiences.

I suppose there are some downsides to QR codes such as "Attaging" or Attack Tagging. This is where hackers will take a QR code and change the sites or even create one with a malicious site. For the most part, QR codes seem to be an amazing way to utilize technology and brand yourself.



2 comments:

  1. Cool video. It's crazy to think of the technologies we will have in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still think you did a great job presenting and it will be interesting to see what replaces QR codes...if anything. I don't think we can completely throw them out yet...

    ReplyDelete