Monday, September 28, 2009

JCOM 2300 Thoughts...Whittier Center Playground

If anyone got involved or heard about the Whittier Center Playground service project, then they know what an amazing experience it was! It was a project to bring a handicapped accessible playground to the neighborhood all thorough volunteer work. Statistics have shown that between 11 and 13 percent of the 23, 763 children in Cache Valley live with a disability and building the playground would be able to service that percentage fully. What originally started out as a 'go if you can' thing for me turned into an all week extravaganza! I was surprised how fast I got attached to the project and how I wanted to be there every second! It started on Monday, September 14 but for me, the best day was Saturday and seeing the finished project. I would have never gotten involved if it weren't for PRSSA (Public Relations Student Society of America) and my public relations major announcing it. I was even able to become a construction captain with no prior experience and was promoted to a 'skilled' volunteer meaning I knew how to operate a skilled saw (which would have never happened before)! I've included some pictures to show what I was able to work on!

Drilling holes for bolts.


This is the playground almost finished! One of my favorite parts about it is the castle.

I was able to nail the fish on the bottom of the boat.

I tried to make the illusion of him jumping out of the water and making the nail his eye.


My tree house! Okay, maybe not mine but this was my main project. Learning how to operate a jigsaw and router was key here in making the squiggly branches and leaves. Note the hidden 'Aggie' A!



The project almost finished!

This is Barry with Leathers and Associates. He and his team fly in from Ithaca, NY to create these playgrounds using only volunteers. He's seen a lot and taught me everything I learned! He was a great guy to work with.
Overall, it was an amazing experience and something that I wouldn't have traded. I learned so much about not only constructing but about people and service. I hope to get another opportunity like this again.

No comments:

Post a Comment